THE TRUTH ABOUT STUDYING MEDICINE: From a preclinical point of view.

9:18 am

                                    
    For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to be a medical doctor. Growing up, I had some notions of what a medical student should look like, these notions were fueled by movies and what people around, especially my parents, said.
 
   When I finally got admission after trying twice, I was excited, I was finally going to be a doctor. My parents gave me some money to buy clothes for school and with my notions as my guide, I entered the market and bought everything corporate, shirts, pencil skirts, blazers, cover shoes, handbags and even glasses ( I do not have problems with my eyes but then all the doctors l have ever seen and even those in the movies wore glasses).

   I was prepared for life as a medical student or so I thought . My hairstyle was simple and smart just like in the movies. When I looked at the mirror in the morning I was to begin school, I could already see myself as a doctor.
  
   After my first week in school, I made the following conclusions;
1. Movies only portray the easy life not the hard part but in real life, school is 90% hard.
2. My parents know NOTHING about studying medicine(no offense).
   For the next few days I am going to be debunking some of the notions (stereotypes) about studying medicine and telling you the 'truth' as I have experienced .

Please feel free to leave your comments and even share your experience also no matter your discipline. I look forward to that.

PS. I love you but Jesus loves you more.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Please make it clearer to us how it feels to b a medical student... We r aspiring...it is impossible or extremely difficult...how many exams before d clinicals....how is it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading my post and commenting. Actually being a medical student is like studying any other course, the only difference is that people seem to attach excess importance to it. Medical students are stressed out but so are students of other departments especially the sciences. For your question on how many exams before clinicals, in my school all science students study the same courses and take the same exams, the nursing and education students have additional courses but not the medicine and surgery students.
    From the second year, we only take one general studies exam and eight (8) tests (which is just a baptismal name for exam) before the second mbbs exam. The first being the first year exams. When you pass the 2nd mbbs, then you move to the clinical class. I hope I answered your question appropriately. Thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete

ads

Like us on Facebook

Popular Posts